Rosevale, New Brunswick
Don McCabe: New Brunswick’s Godfather of Snowmobiling
- Born in Hoghton Centre Ontario, son of a tobacco farmer.
- Moved to the Maritimes over 50 years ago.
- Worked as a project manager in the construction industry on major landmarks as the Dumont Hospital, the IWK, numerous schools, bridges and the just completed Molson Brewery.
- For a pastime in the winter, Don took up snowmobiling. The story has it that he has had a snowmobile for over 38 years. Years before any trails were marked or signed he was out clearing many of the trails we enjoy today.
- In the early 80’s Don along with friends was grooming trails with an alpine snowmobile and home made drag.
- Don’s garage in Rosevale was the first gathering point for what was to become the largest snowmobile club in Atlantic Canada, The South Eastern New Brunswick Snowmobilers Association. Under his guidance trails were cleared and signed & bridges and shelters constructed.
- He has participated and organized most every club function one can imagine and with his determination he continues to be a driving force behind the Association today. He knows every road, trail, brook and rabbit path on CaledoniaMountain.
November 17, 2007